Sunday, May 11, 2014

My First Bout of Books Read-A-Thon!

Ahhhhh! It's happening! I know I start, like, each and every event post that way, but I'M JUST SO EXCITED! I've never participated in a Bout of Books Read-A-Thon before and if you haven't figured it out yet.. I'm about to do just that! I had heard of Bout of Books before on Twitter and things like that, but I never really knew what it was. I don't know how I didn't know what it was since it's so popular.. I'm clearly super oblivious. Regardless, I'm beyond excited about this event and the fact that I'm finally going to be participating. The way it happened was actually so perfect. I literally went on my Twitter and tweeted about how I was really craving a read-a-thon (thinking that this one had already started.) Then I somehow ended up on the Bout of Books blog and realized it starts on May 12, so I could totally still join! EXCITEMENT! CAN YOU FEEL IT?

If you're oblivious like I am, I'm going to quickly explain to you what this is. It's your average read-a-thon, but 500x more cool! This read-a-thon is pretty widely known and definitely very popular. So popular, in fact, that this is the tenth time they've done it! Bout of Books has been happening ever since August 2011 and gains heaps and heaps of participants with each event they have. It's hosted by Amanda from On a Book Bender and Kelly from Reading The Paranormal. In order to explain a bit more (and probably just repeat everything I just said,) here's the blurb copied and pasted from the Bout of Books blog.
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog- From the Bout of Books team
Alright! So, now to my specific goals and all that fun stuff. I intend to try and read at a higher rate than I typically would throughout the entire week. By that I mean, I will be reading the entire week of the event and attempting to really do a good job with this. My goals are just that; read more than I normally would. However, to get a bit more specific I'm going to make a list here of the books I'm hoping to read throughout the event. Many of these books are books I've already started. So, all of these books could be started, continued or completely finished during this week. Who knows what will happen? So, without further ado, here are my goal books.

  • Nil by Lynne Matson
  • Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (re-read)
  • Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
  • The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (audio-book)
  • Oblivion by Sasha Dawn
  • Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
  • Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples (graphic novel)
  • Arabian Nights (and Days) by Bill Willingham (graphic novel)
This list is very, very rough and definitely not strict whatsoever. In the heat of the moment and during this event, I intend to read whatever I feel like reading at the time. This list is simply a guide and a rough TBR of the books I may or may not read over the next week. In addition to that, there's no way I'll ever be able to read ALL of these books, so please don't assume that that's what's going to happen.

PROGRESS:
Throughout the week, I'll be attempting to keep track of my progress here on this post. So, if you're interested in seeing what I've read each day and how well I'm doing you can come right back here and check it out!

Monday 5.12
Currently reading: Nil, Stargirl, The Fault In Our Stars, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days), Saga Vol. 1
Pages read today: 330 Pages
Time spent reading today: 4 Hours and 35 Minutes

Books completed today: 2 Books
Notes: I don't know why, but just before this read-a-thon I did this weird thing where I started a bunch of books. So, that's why my "currently reading" looks ridiculous. But, this is a good thing because it potentially means I can finish way more books since I've already started a bunch.

Tuesday 5.13
Currently reading: Stargirl, The Fault In Our Stars, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 135 Pages
Time spent reading today: 2 Hours and 55 Minutes
Books completed today: 1 Book

Notes: I just finished TFIOS as I write this. I'm moved and I kind of didn't think I'd feel this intensely about it? I'll be reviewing that book in the near or distant future.. in other words, eventually. I didn't read as much as I would have liked. So, that was sad.. Haha.

Wednesday 5.14
Currently reading: Stargirl, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 0...
Time spent reading today: None...
Books completed today: 0...

Notes: I just posted an explanation post (Today is Saturday) that explains why I've been MIA from Wednesday to Sunday. So.. womp womp womp. Bad things. I suck. I'm sorry. D':

Thursday 5.15
Currently reading: Stargirl, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 0...
Time spent reading today: None...
Books completed today: 
0...

Friday 5.16
Currently reading: Stargirl, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 0...
Time spent reading today: None...
Books completed today: 
0...

Saturday 5.17
Currently reading: Stargirl, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 0...
Time spent reading today: None...
Books completed today: 
0...

Sunday 5.18
Currently reading: Stargirl, Killer Instinct, Arabian Nights (and Days)
Pages read today: 0...
Time spent reading today: None...
Books completed today: 0...


Totals 
Pages read: 465 Pages
Time spent reading: 7 Hours and 30 Minutes
Books completed: 3 Books

Are you participating in the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon!? Let me know! I'm so excited to meet as many new people as I can and also read as many books as I can! Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, so great to hear another blogger joining Bout of Books! I can't wait for it to start :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!