Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thursday Thoughts || Insta-Love

Week two of Thursday Thoughts is here! I'm excited and I hope you are as well! This is an interactive, original, weekly feature here on my blog that only started last week. Everyone who has an opinion is invited to make their own post, link up and join the conversation! This week's theme is Insta-Love; Something that I know for a fact a lot of book bloggers have a thing or two to say about since it's something that seems to come up quite often in YA book reviews.

Now, I think I'm personally a bit more lenient when it comes to unrealistic things happening in books. I attribute that to the fact that I've not always been the most professional reader. I've only started really hardcore reading in the last year or so. That being said, I haven't really experienced all the irritations that insta-love in books can cause. However, I definitely have strong opinions on this particular topic.

I'm going to start out by saying something that may sound a bit crazy: Insta-love can be great. Now, let me elaborate. When you think of romantic classics, what pairings do you think of? Couples like Romeo & Juliet, Lancelot & Guinevere, Jack & Rose, and just about every Disney movie ever. What do all of those stories have in common? Insta-love. So, why do we love these classic stories so much? Because they're done so well! Simply put, they're believable. These are classic books and movies that everyone knows and loves for a reason. And, I think authors now-a-days need to keep that in mind. I'm sorry to break it to ya, but your new YA novel probably won't be the next Titanic if you can't pull it off.


Now, that's not to say that you won't be able to pull it off! I know for a fact that there are lots of successful YA books from the last 20 years that do have insta-love in them. But, what we need to realize is that those are only a small portion of the YA books with insta-love in the last 20 years overall. What I think it really all comes down to is believeability. I'm going to say something else now that might shock you again; I hated Twilight. I read Twilight when it very first came out. I was in 5th grade and all my friends were like "Oh my god, this book is so great. Read it, read it!" So, I gave in. I read it. I hated it. I was one of those kids who was such a big Twilight-hater that I would smack people down immediately after they said they liked it.

Back in 5th grade, I was only 9 or 10 years old and wasn't exactly analyzing books. Looking back, I think one of the main reasons, if not the only reason, that I hated that novel so much was the insta-love. Why? Because it's not done well and in a believable fashion! So, to sum it all up, here's what I'm trying to say. No, insta-love does not kill a book for me. In fact, insta-love has the ability to make amazing stories such as those we consider classics today! However, insta-love that's not believeable does kill a book for me. And, doing it right is definitely a hard theme to successfully pull off.

There you have it! My opinion on this week's Thursday Thoughts Topic of Conversation! I even tried using a gif in my post today! Branching out of my comfort zone~~ Yes, I did use a Titanic gif because it's my favorite movie. Shhh. Thank you so, so much for taking some time to stop by. Now, it's time for you to contribute to the conversation...

How do you feel about insta-love? Yay or nay? What books can you recall reading that have insta-love in them? Did you like those books?



4 comments:

  1. You make such a great point about all those classic stories with insta-love. I was thinking something like that as well, but didn't verbalize it as well as you did! I think that there is a way to do insta-love right... but I also think that most people sadly miss the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated Twilight, too. Mostly I was just bored. But then when the age difference was revealed I was creeped out -- and not in the good Vampire Lestat way, but the bad Lolita way. So, I never finished the book.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to unrealistic things happening in books too, so insta-love doesn't bother me that much. I'm glad to see another blogger that also believes that insta-love can be pulled off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this idea! I'll be following so I can play, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!