Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Obsessed with The Fables Series

If you're like me, you've never really been too drawn to comics or graphic novels in the past. In middle school I went through a very short manga phase and also have fond memories of reading an Emily The Strange comic/graphic novel in the library. Other than in those instances, the colorful world of graphic novels was new to me until December 2013.

One day, I was scrolling through my YouTube subscriptions and stumbled upon a gaming video posted by one of my favorite beauty gurus turned random vlogger. The game looked interesting enough and somehow caught my eye, so I decided to watch. I was hooked. The game was called The Wolf Among Us and had been created by Telltale Games, the same company that created the highly celebrated Walking Dead games. It followed the story of Bigby Wolf (the big bad wolf from Little Red Riding Hood) who was now the sheriff of Fabletown, a secret town for fairy tale creatures in New York City. This plot was fantastic! There was no way Telltale made this up on their own.

Sure enough, they hadn't. The game was based on a long running comic/graphic novel series called Fables and was actually serving as a prequel to the series. And, that is where my obsession began. I'm currently finishing off the 6th Volume of Fables; called Homelands. I could not be more in love with this series. Now, to be fair, Fables is essentially my only experience with graphic novels, so I may not have the authority to judge which ones are fantastic. However, frankly I don't care if that's true because Fables is fantastic.

Wikipedia states: "Fables is a comic book series created by writer Bill Willingham, published by DC Comics's Vertigo imprint beginning in 2002. The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore – referring to themselves as "Fables" – who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Fables who are unable to blend in with human society (such as monsters and anthropomorphic animals) live at "the Farm" in upstate New York."

If you're someone who enjoys books that have to do with fairy tales and would like to get into reading Graphic Novels, I would highly suggest checking out this series. Keep in mind that this is not a children's series. There is quite a bit of swearing, adult themes and occasional nudity in the graphic novels, and also the video game. Speaking of the video game, The Wolf Among Us is not only available on PC and gaming consoles, but also on iOS. I downloaded the game on iOS on my iPad and am insanely impressed by the clearness and how well it really does works. The Wolf Among Us is being released in 4 episodes, the second of which came out this past week. So, if you're interested in downloading the game, no time like the present!

If you're interested in the game or in the Fables series let me know down in the comments! I would love to talk about them with you. I'm positive there will be more posts on my blog about this series considering how in love I am with it. So, look out for that in the not so distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!