I've wanted to read some books with LGBT themes for a while now, but hadn't actually come across any that I picked up. I felt like what better time to jump on that than LGBT month! I also think this is an amazing, amazing opportunity to try to create even more acceptance and love for all things LGBT in the bookish community. I'm honored to say I'm part of a community that already creates so much beautiful LGBT content, but there's always room for more acceptance and love in any forum!
So, at this point you're probably thinking "Oh my god, Ashley! This is so amazing! I want to join right now! How can I join?! Where can I join?! PLEASE TELL ME!" Alright, first.. calm down. I should point out that even if you're reading this late in the month, you can still sign up. You can join LGBT month all the way through to the end of the month so it's never too late. You can head over to THIS post on Cayce's blog to sign up and, if you're not already convinced, below I'll put a few little blurbs from that post and Laura's Kick Off post so you can get all the details.
First, let's talk rules! Well, there are no real rules. You don't even need be a book blogger. You can have a blog/site, a Youtube channel, or you can track your progress on Goodreads and/or Twitter using the hashtag #LGBTApril.
Different things we'll be doing during April are reviews, discussions, giveaways, guest posts, Twitter parties and MORE. We really hope you can too! Anything goes as long as it's somehow LGBT+ related. You can do as many or as little as you want. Perhaps you want to review one or two LGBT+ books or their movie adaptation, do a discussion post, post a list or playlist, do an interview with an LGBT+ author, give away an LGBT+ book, highlight your favorite LGBT+ author or favorite LGBT+ couple from a book you read - do it in APRIL!
At the beginning of each week, we'll post a Linky. There, you can link up your different posts/videos (and maybe win something at the end of the month).
Also, there will be a read-along! It's not compulsory for you to participate in it, but it will be a lot more fun if you do. There are no set rules on how you have to read it, as long as you read it with us.
Remember that sign ups are open until the end of April so SIGN UP NOW!
But why you ask?
- All you need to do is post ONCE about LGBT+!So, what will Ok, Let's Read be doing in honor of LGBT month? Well, I'm glad you asked. Hopefully, I'll be reading at least a handful of books that contain LGBT themes throughout the month and posting reviews or discussion posts on said books. You can also expect at least one conversational post of me simply talking about "LGBT in YA." I think that little title really makes for a very conversational post and the ideas are already flowing on what I'm going to type up on that topic for you guys. So, get excited for all of that fabulousness.
- There are so many prizes up for grabs!
- The schedule is filled with amazing posts!
- We should be pushing the acceptance of LGBT+ in YA!
- Let’s celebrate the colours and have fun!
I think I've just about covered everything. If you couldn't tell, I'm really excited about this event and I can't wait to see everyone else's posts, tweets, and videos. It's going to be amazing. I can already tell. Thanks for stopping by!