Sunday, March 23, 2014

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

Author: Marissa Meyer
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 454
Reading Level: Young Adult

"Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."



MY THOUGHTS:

I know a ton of people here in the book blogging community are completely obsessed mega-fangirls of The Lunar Chronicles. I am proud to admit that I am one of those people. This series just has everything I could ever want in a book series. The fairy tale retellings are done flawlessly. The characters pop and have a ton of depth. The books have been particularly quick, fast-paced reads. The sci-fi elements push me out of my comfort zone and introduce me to themes that I didn't even know I loved to read about. I could honestly go on forever. There are so many fabulous things about this series that really make it what it is.

In Scarlet, the plot already laid out in the first book, Cinder, picks up right where it left off. We follow Cinder and Kai's story while also meeting a few new characters and adding them into the mix. I try not to spoil anything in my reviews, so I'm just going to say that I think I might have liked this book a little bit more. I don't know if it was the action taking place or the new characters that were introduced, but something really sucked me in. It might have been the fact that I somehow felt a bit more connected to Scarlet than I had with Cinder. I think I understood her a bit better.

On the topic of characters, we meet three new, prominent characters in this book; Scarlet being the most significant. Scarlet is a bit more feisty than Cinder and she is a lot less insecure. I really liked Scarlet's confidence and the way she would stop at nothing to get things done throughout the story. I won't say much about Wolf, other than the fact that I really enjoyed his personality. I think Wolf is one of the more dynamic character's that's been introduced in the series and there is definitely a lot of depth to him as a person. Finally, we have Captain Thorne who I adore. From what I've heard, Thorne is very significant in the next book, Cress, so that's one of the many reasons that I cannot wait to jump into book number three.

Cinder took place entirely in New Bejing, whereas Scarlet is a bit more scattered and loose when it comes to settings. I really enjoyed getting to see this future world through the eyes of other countries. I loved all the scenes in France and, again, I think that adds to the reasons why I loved Scarlet as a character. I like France in life, it's one of my favorite countries. So, getting to see scenes in this book take place in a country that I love and find extremely interesting was super exciting for me.

All in all, Scarlet was an action-packed, well-fleshed-out, exciting, fantastic second installment to this series. I loved the movement of the plot, the multifaceted characters, and the intriguing settings. As with Cinder, I really can't find anything bad to say about these books. They're so engaging and suspenseful and I cannot wait to continue the story in Cress. I gave Scarlet a 5/5 stars, obviously. If you're someone who likes sci-fi or fairy tales but isn't sure about the other, I would definitely recommend this series. It's opened the door for me when it comes to trying out genres that I don't know much about. In addition to that, if you've read Cinder and have yet to read Scarlet, I would tell you to read it right now because if you're anything like me you'll totally love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!